Monday, March 4, 2013

Cornbread Stuffing - Gluten and Dairy Free Recipe

My cornbread stuffing is a family favorite.  When I make it for Thanksgiving dinner, I always make a huge batch so I can put half in the freezer for a future winter meal.



Cindy’s Cornbread/Sausage Stuffing
(wheat, yeast, soy and dairy free)

*This is a huge recipe – enough to stuff two turkeys – or divide and freeze in several portions.  Probably makes 25 servings. 

 Saute 2 large onions, chopped, and 3 cups chopped celery in ½ cup safflower oil (or other oil of your choice).

Add to 18 cups crumbs/rice. 

*I freeze any leftover cornbread throughout the year, then make a big batch of stuffing around Thanksgiving.  You will need the equivalent of about 1 ½ batches of cornbread and 1 or 3 cups of leftover rice (I prefer wild or brown rice, but white rice works OK, too). 

(Adding sausage is optional, here is what I do when I add meat)  Brown 1 lb. ground turkey, seasoning generously with about ½ teaspoon each ground sage, black pepper, salt, and a dash each of oregano and thyme  (this is what I do – since commercial sausage often has ingredients I avoid - you may use commercially available sausage if you can tolerate it).  

Seasoning:

2 t. salt
3 t. rubbed sage
2 t. thyme leaves
1 t. black pepper
1 t. celery salt

Mix thoroughly.  Taste to check seasoning and dryness, then add as needed, but remember – seasoning flavors will intensify with baking. 

Moisten with chicken or turkey broth (about 1 cup depending on desired texture). We like our dressing fairly dry and smother it with gravy, so I don't usually add water or broth. Place in covered casserole and bake for approximately 45 minutes at 350, or until heated through – or stuff bird as desired. (or freeze for another meal)

No comments:

Post a Comment