Sunday, March 17, 2013

Adapting a Gluten-free Yellow Cake Mix for a Non-Dairy diet

I recently picked up a King Arthur Flour mix for Glutenfree Yellow Cake.

INGREDIENTS: SUGAR, MODIFIED TAPIOCA
STARCH, RICE FLOUR, POTATO STARCH,
CORNSTARCH, EMULSIFIER (RICE STARCH,
POLYGLYCEROL ESTERS OF FATTY ACIDS,
MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES OF FATTY ACIDS),
BAKING POWDER (SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE,
BAKING SODA, CORNSTARCH,
MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), NATURAL
VANILLA FLAVOR, SALT, XANTHAN GUM.

The recipe on the box calls for butter and milk.  I substituted the 1/2 cup butter with 1/2 cup safflower oil.  I substituted the 2/3 cup milk with 1/3 cup So Delicious Unsweetened coconut milk and 1/3 cup water.  I used the 4 eggs called for in the recipe.  I used a springform tube pan to bake the cake and it turned out great - a very nice version of a pound cake.  

Gluten free white cake mixes, in my experience, tend to be fairly dry and overly dense.  This one turned out very nice.  I don't think anyone realized it was gluten and dairy free.  This cake kept well for the 4 days it took to finish eating it!

Tomorrow, I will show you how I got that pink icing without using food dye!

1 comment:

  1. Looks pretty good. You need a YUM! button at the bottom of the page that we can click.

    ReplyDelete