Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Millet - Rice Flour Waffles - Gluten and Dairy Free Recipe

When I first went gluten free and dairy free - the adjustment was overwhelming.  I had been a baker (wheat flour) since childhood.  As an adult,  I baked my own bread, cinnamon rolls, and cookies, cakes, pies, etc.  It gave me a lot of satisfaction to be able to bake wholesome delicious products.  Adjusting to the alternative flours was a long series of disasters to the point that I completely abandoned making baked goods for many years.  My family continued to eat regular food until they got older (teens) and began having similar food allergies.  Once other people in the household were on a restricted diet - I found myself a lot more motivated to try to find recipes that would work for us.

I have served these waffles to many a house guest, and I think they pass for regular wheat flour waffles.   They are light and crisp and they freeze well, if you have any leftovers. I will often make a double recipe just for the purpose of having some in the freezer.

Millet – Rice Flour Waffles

1 cup brown rice flour
½ cup millet flour
½ cup tapioca starch flour
½ teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
3 eggs
1 tablespoon agave nectar or organic sugar (optional)
¼ cup safflower oil
1 ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk (or other non-dairy milk)

Measure dry ingredients into a bowl and mix them together.  Add eggs, oil, and liquid.  Mix until fully blended. 
Bake on a heated waffle iron and serve. My waffle iron takes about 1/3 cup per batch. These freeze well if there are any leftover.  I often make a double batch so there will be leftovers for the freezer.  

* I have not been successful coming up with an egg-free waffle recipe that bakes well in the waffle iron. 

2 comments:

  1. I have personally eaten these Waffles, and they are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!!! I've not been very pleased with the gluten dairy free waffles I've tried to make so far but this one turned out really good! A keeper. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete