Saturday, May 17, 2014

Lemon Pound Cake - Gluten Free / Dairy Free / Soy Free Recipe

This is a recipe I adapted from several pound cake recipes I found online.  It is impossible to tell it is gluten and dairy free, and I have had many requests for this recipe.  Enjoy!



Lemon Pound Cake, Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Wheat Free Recipe

3 cups gluten free flour *
2  tsp xanthan gum
2  tsp sea salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1  cup safflower oil
2  cups sugar
Grated rind from one lemon
Juice from one lemon
4 large eggs
3/4 cup coconut milk (I use “So-Delicious” Unsweetened)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine flour, xanthan gum, sea salt, and baking powder in an extra large measuring cup or separate bowl.  Set aside.
Blend oil and sugar, add eggs one at a time, beating after each.  Add lemon juice and rind.   Add coconut milk.
Gradually add dry ingredients into wet ingredients, mixing well.
Pour into a greased 9” spring form pan. 
Bake 60 minutes or until cake tests done.
*My preferred ratio of gluten free flours for this cake is:
          2 cups brown rice flour
          ½ cup tapioca starch
          1/2 cup millet flour
I find brown rice flour to be less grainy than white rice flour (which I never use any more).  I like to use a bit of millet flour in any cake or muffin recipe as it adds a good “cake” texture.  I add the tapioca starch for a bit of lightness, because the other flours tend to be quite heavy and give a very dense final product.  That’s my 2 cents on flour.

Lemon Glaze

zest of one lemon
juice of one lemon
add sifted powdered sugar, stirring, until thickened and opaque, but still runny enough to drizzle over the cooled cake.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, I took this to a dinner party in NYC - and it got RAVE reviews. Delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete