Saturday, April 19, 2014

Chocolate Pudding Cake - Gluten, Dairy and Soy Free Version

 This special dessert is something our mother made when we were children.  It was a favorite and I am so happy to be able to adapt this recipe to my dietary restrictions.  I make this when my sister, Becky comes to visit, as it is a comfort food for her, too!  It is a delightful combination of gooey chocolate pudding on the bottom, moist tender cake in the middle with a crunchy sugary top crust.  Delightful to the senses.  Serve warm from the oven with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.



Chocolate Pudding Cake

Mix together:
½ cup cane sugar (I use organic granulated)
¼ cup cocoa powder  ( I use an organic cocoa powder)
1 cup brown rice flour (or use a blend of brown rice, millet and tapioca starch)
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt

Then add:
½ cup unsweetened dairy free milk substitute (I use coconut milk)
3 tablespoons oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix well and pour the batter into a greased 2 quart casserole dish.

Topping:
½ cup granulated or brown sugar
¼ cup cocoa powder
Mix these two dry ingredients until well blended and sprinkle evenly over the batter in the casserole dish.

Pour over:
2 cups boiling water
The boiling water will completely submerge the batter and topping.

Bake in a preheated oven to 350 degrees.

Remove after 25 to 35 minutes – when the cake is still a bit jiggly, but the surface is starting to crack.

Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.




1 comment:

  1. Okay this is going on my to do list tomorrow right after I finish making another pot of your mulligatawny soup, which by the way still gets devoured every time I make it.

    ReplyDelete