Saturday, March 22, 2014

Mexican Hotcakes



We spent 3 weeks in Puerto Penasco, Mexico in February and I wanted to try my hand at adapting our meals to the ingredients available in that small fishing village.  I found a package of masa (corn flour) with a hot cake recipe on the back.  These were so good, I made them multiple times!  

Next weekend, I will explain how to cook the plantains I used for a garnish.



Masa Harina Hot Cakes
Mexican Hot Cakes

1 cup masa (I used Maseca brand, which is commonly available in the US)
1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons oil
¾ cup water or milk substitute

Mix all ingredients.  Pour about 1/3 cup onto heated and lightly greased griddle per pancake.  Turn when bubbles begin to form on the top side.  Serve with butter, syrup and fried plantains.


This is the masa I found in the Puerto Penasco grocery store that I thought would be safe since it says 100% maiz on the package.  The package had the Hot Cake recipe on the back.  It called for milk, but I substituted with coconut milk.   

No comments:

Post a Comment