Black Eyed Pea Sausage Soup
New Year’s Luck Soup (a soup version of Hoppin’ John)
2 lb dried black eyed peas
1 lb cooked link sausage of your choice (I used a chicken sausage – Adelle’s Pineapple-Bacon)
3 quarts chicken or vegetable broth plus water
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 yellow onions, chopped
3 cups carrots, chopped
3 cups celery, chopped
6 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 bay leaves
1. Sort through black eyed peas, removing pebbles, debris, etc. Cover black eyed peas with water – about 2” above the level of the peas in your pot. Soak for 4 hours or overnight.
2. Caramelize onions in olive oil, then add the other vegetables and sauté them until all are tender.
3. Add vegetables and bay leaves to stockpot and add drained, soaked black eyed peas. Add broth. Add more liquid as needed to keep the peas submerged during cooking. Simmer several hours until peas are soft.
4. At this point, you may wish to remove several cups of the mixture and puree in the blender to make a creamier soup base. Return the puree to the pot and add the diced cooked sausage and Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Simmer 30 minutes longer, taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
5. For my New Year’s Open House, I made this soup the day before and reheated to serve it from the crock pot. The flavor seemed to improve the second day.