Sunday, July 7, 2013

Sweet Potato Salad - Mayo Free Version


I don't eat nightshades - potatoes seem to make me hurt more.....so I wanted to come up with a good recipe for sweet potato salad without mayonnaise, since I don't care for mayo (plus nearly every mayonnaise contains some ingredient that doesn't work for me).   Joe took two helpings the first time I served it.
Sweet Potato Salad – No Mayo

2 lb sweet potatoes / yams – I use a mixture of yellow and orange for a nice variety of color and texture
Peel and cut sweet potatoes into bite size pieces – 1 to ½” size.  Cook in a saucepan, just covered with water for about 15 minutes or until fork tender.  Drain and cool.
1 small red onion, finely chopped
3 stalks celery, sliced
½ cup chopped chives

Dressing:
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons real maple syrup
Juice of 1 lime
1/3 cup oil of your choice ( I used equal parts olive and sunflower oil)
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 ½ teaspoons salt (or to taste)
1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper

Blend all ingredients and chill for 2 hours before serving.  Or serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment